Learn Chinese Your Way with Clavis Sinica
"Clavis Sinica" means "Key to the Chinese Language." Our software helps
you learn Chinese by unlocking the meaning and structure of the Chinese
characters in the texts you want to read.
- Read Chinese stories and articles on the topics that interest you as well as hear them
- Build your vocabulary by exploring connections among related words and characters
- Master the words you need to know using customized vocabulary lists and flashcard sessions
you're a relative beginner or an old China hand, you'll find Clavis
Sinica an indispensible learning tool that makes the study of Chinese a
more productive, enjoyable, and intellectually rewarding experience.
Why Clavis Sinica?
Learning to read Chinese is hard. There's no way around that. The Clavis Sinica software, however can make
your task a whole lot easier. Here's how:
The Text Reader provides one-click access to the pronunciation and meaning of any unfamiliar word
in any Chinese document or website. Read the texts you want to read without the need for a print dictionary!
(For some good texts to get started with, see our Chinese Text and Audio Library).
The Analytical Dictionary reveals the underlying structure of Chinese words and generates
lists of other words using the same parts. Once you learn
why a character is written the way it is and how it relates to other characters in the same character family,
it becomes much easier to remember. Of course, you can also search the 40,000-word dictionary by English, pinyin, or
The Vocabulary List Builder
helps you create customized vocabulary lists from any Chinese document.
You can convert these lists into flashcards for review with the program's
powerful built-in flashcards tool. Or you can print them out as study sheets using the
free Vocabulary List Converter in our Chinese Toolbox.
- Windows 98, 2000, NT, XP, or Vista operating system OR Mac OS X (version 10.3 or later) OR Unix (Linux, FreeBSD, etc)
- 55 MB free hard drive space
- 75 MB available RAM (128 MB recommended on system)
- Mouse, sound card, and speakers
- No additional Chinese software, fonts, or operating system are required